My photo
I'm a free-style portrait photographer who serves the Twin Cities area.   If you are interested in hiring me for your photographic needs please visit my website at www.jensportraits.com
Want a copy of an image to use on your Facebook, Twitter or other web account? Shoot me an email at Jennifer@JensPortraits.com and I will be happy to send you a resized image that will look great as your avitar!

Friday, May 14, 2010

Reflections

I've always been an artistic person, at different times in my life expressing myself through drawing, oil painting, writing or photography. And now I'm even contemplating a beginning guitar class while I'm at school!

As the time for me to begin school comes close I find myself often getting lost in my thoughts. I've felt a heavy heart because I realize that with my new journey into the scholarly environment, as exciting as it is, comes the journey where I will no longer be walking hand in hand daily with my camera, but rather hoping for brief moments with it. (I've even thought about seeing if I could be a photographer for the school's newspaper.)

I've loved the challenges during my photography career, where I've had to stretch and grow and step out of my comfort zone. Who would have thought that photographing creatively the interior of an elevator, or finding dry spots on a wet wedding day, or trying to get 4 teen/pre-teen unhappy kids to smile, or getting 40 people together and shot in less than 10 minutes before dark could be so exhilarating?

My photography has been a very personal experience for me. Each wedding I shot, as I edited the images I captured of the couple's day, I've treasured their lives, their families and friends and the relationship they've shared with me. Each baby, I've loved. Each face, I've treasured. As I work on people's images, I gaze into their faces and they become someone I know, in some way. I see the lines in their faces, the curl of their smiles, the dimples in their chins or cheeks, the scars from years ago and I've gazed into their eyes. "The eyes are the window to the soul", and as I worked on images of people and gazed into their eyes, I've become acquainted with their souls.

I will miss the frequency of this type of connection with people that I've had, and will anticipate excitedly any sessions I can find time to do during my school year.

I've always had a love affair with words and learning. I admire those who write so eloquently and can draw me into their world, much like the way a photograph can make you feel like you've stepped into someone else's place in time. I love learning and growing and exploring new (to me) ideas and concepts.


I love being reinvented.

Although I am changing the direction my life is going, I know my love for photography will always remain with me and I will forever be taking my camera with me wherever I go. And when I am old and my mind is feeble and I can't do anything else, I will be happy if I am still able to lift a camera and move my finger .25 of an inch.


"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams


Photobucket

The Things I Blog About